Knowing how to remove press on nails is such valuable information to have. Now, most especially, since we cannot go to the salons to have it taken out professionally.
However, as it goes, I got you covered. Here are ways you can remove press nails at home without ruining your real nails.
RELATED: How to Strengthen Brittle Nails | Manicure Tips
Remove Press On Nails Like a Pro
1. Simple Warm Water and Soap Technique
@getpressedbypsbCustom press on nail removal ##PlayByPlay ##distancedance ##moreyouknow ##TheSongOfUs ##whippedcoffee ##getpressedbypsb♬ Funky Town – The Dance Queen Group
- The first thing to do to remove the glue is to soften it by soaking your nails in warm water with soap. Soaking the nails for about 15 minutes will effectively loosen the glue in most cases. The warm water method normally works wonders.
- In cases where even after 15 minutes you feel like the glue is still tight, you can try doing the next step.
- Using a wooden nail stick, carefully lift the fake nail until it comes off. This won’t hurt your real nails because when the glue is loose from the soaking process, the press on nail is easy to pry out from your real ones.
2. Remove Fake Nails Using Acetone
It is recommended to use pure acetone for this. Acetone is a volatile chemical. Do not heat this over the fire or on the microwave because it is combustible.
There are two possible ways to remove your press on nails using acetone, you can try either depending on your preference.
Steps for Acetone Soak:
@beautybarbyaleeHow to remove press one with acetone ONLY if you won’t reuse them again. ##foryou ##fyp ##foryoupage ##nailtutorial ##pressons ##nails ##tutorial ##nailtech♬ Roses – Imanbek Remix – SAINt JHN
- Pour the acetone on a bowl and on a larger bowl put in hot water.
- After this, put the water level to about the same level as the acetone on the smaller bowl.
- Then, place the smaller bowl inside the larger bowl to warm the liquid inside.
- It will take a while but when it is warm, soak your nails for a few minutes and check if the glue has loosened. Many times it will have done the job. Then it will be easy to take out the fake nails with a nail stick.
Steps for Foil Method:
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Beauty Teacher (@thebeauty_teacher) on
Alternatively, you can do the foil method, still using acetone. Only this time,
- You add acetone on cotton then wrap your fingernails in a foil.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- After this, you simply remove the foil and you’ll see that the fake nails have either dissolved or can easily be removed.
RELATED: How To Properly Care For Your Nails | Makeup Tutorials
3. Safely Remove Press On Nails With Baby Oil
Another way on how to remove press on nails is by soaking your nails on a mixture of baby oil and warmed acetone. Well, it’s not just baby oil but any mineral oil is fine. It is a gentler process for the nails however, it takes longer. If you have the patience to wait for about 45 minutes to about an hour before the glue loosened up, I would recommend this.
I’m all for the least damage you can give your nails. The only way to do that is to go to a professional nail salon, but since that is not possible at the moment then this might just be your best bet.
As always when the glue is loose, pry out in the same manner as you would after any of the other two options mentioned above.
Protect Your Nails at All Cost!
This is not another way on how to remove press on nails but since it is just as important, I’m giving this as a bonus reminder to always protect your nails after.
- Use moisturizing lotion. Your nails will probably look damaged after being glued for weeks. It might look dry and brittle that’s why it’s best to apply a moisturizing lotion to coat your nails.
- Use conditioning cream. Another way to protect them is to apply a conditioning cream or even natural oils that have a high moisture content. Only after you cut your nails short to prevent chipping and breakage.
- Apply base coat. If you feel you must, you may also apply a base coat to cover the nails. Choose a base coat that has added benefits such as nourishment and moisturization.
Learn more about caring for your nails at home with this video from JauntyJuli:
Nails are part of our identity, how you take care of them is important. Many times nail art makes us feel beautiful and confident so let’s make sure to take care of them as well. For someone like me, learning how to remove press on nails is a must because of certain situations that will prohibit you from going to the nail salon.
It’s definitely a life-saver and I hope I was able to add value to you too.
Do you have a quick nail tip? Let us know how you care for your nails during this lockdown period. We’d love to know about it! Share them in the comments section below.
- Kylie Jenner Says Goodbye To Nails, Hair & Lashes Extensions During Lockdown
- 36 Amazing Manicure Hacks You Should Know
- Younger Looking Hands in 5 Easy Steps
We aim to feature the best of the best in the makeup world, and maybe that can include you! CONTRIBUTE to us!
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for the latest makeup, hair and nail trends. Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel for cool makeup tutorials.