What you should Know About Lash Extensions Before You Go Full Glam
During the past 10 years, eyelash extensions have become one of the most popular beauty remedies available. Since 2007, average Google searches for “ lash extensions” and “ lash extensions” have grown by more than 750 percent (and the trend is still increasing! ). This treatment— which involves applying semi-permanent false lashes one by one— is a great way to get longer, larger, more feminine lashes. Extensions let you achieve a spectacular or subtle look for an extended period of time— without having to make use of mascara. For special occasions or everyday looks, eyelash plug-ins can help you cut back on the time you spend getting ready (Who doesn’ to want to wake up already looking glamorous and ready to go? ).
Even though they’ re as popular as ever, eyelash extensions are still not as familiar to some as, say, an eyebrow wax. And since we’ re talking about the sensitive and sensitive eye are, safety is also a concern. Therefore , to help answer any questions you might have, I chatted along with Christine Walsh, an esthetician at Dermstore Spa & Hair salon , about the whole process.
Dermstore: Are eyelash extensions safe?
Christine Walsh: Whenever applied correctly by a professional, eyelash extensions are usually perfectly safe , and people who have reactions are typically just allergic in order to ingredients in the glue. * Each appointment starts having a consultation about allergies and walking the client through the procedure. Sterile tweezers are used to apply individual lash extensions in order to each of one’ s natural lashes. Contact ahead and check for references on where you can look at their particular previous work and style when choosing a lash specialist.
Tips and advice to naturally condition and care for your hair.
FREE EBOOK: CARING FOR YOUR HAIR
Don't let yourself get caught short with dull colour and unruly hair.
*Editor’ s Note upon Safety: Common ingredients in eyelash glue include formaldehyde and latex , according to a Consumer Reports study, which are common allergens for many individuals. Before making an appointment, ask for a list of ingredients in the adhesive your own esthetician uses. If you are unsure whether you are allergic to these components or not, visit your doctor for an in-office allergy check to avoid a potentially dangerous situation.
If not applied or cared for properly, you can even risk bacterial infections or physical irritation. After getting eyelash plug-ins, see your doctor immediately if you notice any itching, discomfort, swelling or anything else abnormal.
Will certainly eyelash extensions ruin your existing lashes?
If applied correctly, lash plug-ins will not ruin your existing lashes. When too much stuff is applied or more than one lash is used per lash, then you’ d jeopardize the health of the particular natural lash.
What are some typical reasons to get lash extensions?
Clients typically get extensions to keep make-up application minimal for an upcoming vacation, or simply to cut out there an extra step of mascara or the application of strips each morning. It’ s known to boost one’ s confidence using the simple act of enhancing the eye, “ the home windows to the soul. ”
If somebody wants to try extensions but isn’ t ready to completely commit, what would you recommend?
If someone was uncertain about lash plug-ins, I would recommend they start by trying a natural-looking set of plug-ins and gradually building up to a fuller volume or fashion lash. Also the client has the option to just get the corner sexy eyelashes enhanced. This way the client can get used to the application processes along with the cost and maintenance of extensions.
Also, lashes aren’ t for everyone! Several clients don’ t care for the feel of person fibers attached to their lashes. In this case, the set will be removed easily with a gel, not causing any trouble for the natural lashes.
Can you pick the length and fullness of your extensions?
Most definitely! During the consultation portion of the visit (which happens in the very beginning of course), you talk about the style of lashes you wish to have. You can choose the size, curl shape and the amount of volume you wish to have used. The technician will then explain and walk you with the style to expect with what you decided and also make suggestions of styles that would enhance your individual eye shape. Numerous technicians also have extensions in different colors or materials like mink.
How long do eyelash plug-ins take (average time of a first appointment)?
Typically a full set takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, depending on the desired look of lashes the client desires to achieve. During the time of application, I recommend the client enjoys a little attractiveness sleep. I personally perform the application in a private room from Dermstore Spa, where the client lies comfortably on a mattress with relaxing music playing in the background to ease the brain and calm any nerves.
Are you able to walk us through what an appointment looks like?
- Before starting, I always check with the client on the application process, styles of lashes desired as well as the home care of lashes.
- I start by applying a thin piece of mp3 to the bottom lash line to ensure clear separation among top and bottom lashes. Then soothing hydrating solution patches are applied to the under eye area.
- Next I would start to prep the lashes by applying a lash cleanser to eliminate any leftover mascara or natural oils that could interfere with the particular adhesion of the glue.
- Once the lashes are prepped and dried the application form process begins. The technician uses lash extension tweezers to apply the fibers to each individual lash. The client ought to only feel the pressure of the technician’ s palms on the forehead for balance.
- Once the desired amount of lashes are applied, the sealant is then applied giving the extensions the glossy affect. This is followed by the removal of the hydrating solution patches and tape strips from the under eye region.
At this point you have beautiful set of eyelash extensions!
How should you care for your new eyelash extensions?
- Do use only drinking water based ( essential oil free ) eye makeup eliminator. Cleanse with caution!
- Avoid excess rubbing of the lashes.
- For the first two hrs after application avoid direct water contact with lashes.
- For the first 2 days after application, it’ s best to avoid steam.
- I do not suggest use of over the counter mascara unless it is labeled oil free of charge.
- I do not really recommend the use of lash curlers, this will break both the expansion and natural lash.
- It’ s best to avoid chemical peels since the AHAs and BHAs can dissolve the bonding broker in the adhesive.
How long perform eyelash extensions last?
After about two weeks it’ s best to come in to get a touch up session. The lash life cycle when they are usually actively growing is typically 30– 45 days. The extension drops off when the natural lash hits the end of its routine and falls out naturally. Poor home care of eyelashes can result in lashes falling out sooner.
When applied correctly, eyelash extensions are a secure, easy way to enhance your everyday look. But , as Christine noted, they aren’ t for everyone. If you’ lso are still unsure, talk to your local esthetician about any hesitations and ask any additional questions you may have. And if you’ re searching for an alternative way to enhance your lashes, check out our recommended lash enhancing products below.